Monday, May 23, 2016

A Different Sun by Elaine Neil Orr




Title: A Different Sun: A Novel of Africa
Author: Elaine Neil Orr
Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: A young woman raised on her parents' southern slave-holding plantation travels to Africa as a missionary. The story is based loosely on the writings of missionaries Lurana Davis Bowen and Thomas Jefferson Bowen.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this novel. I haven't read many books set in Africa and I'm really glad I grabbed this one off the shelf! I loved following the protagonist, Emma, as she grew up on a plantation in Georgia, became a missionary in Africa, and began her family. 

Emma is a character I found myself rooting for as she figures out life in a new country on a new continent. She is an unconventional woman living in the mid-to-late 1800s who wants more from life than to inherit her father's plantation. As you may notice, I love a good, strong, female lead.

 While most of the story is from Emma's point of view, we get the perspective of a few other main characters throughout the story as well. This allows for well-developed characters and helps the reader get a better understanding of life missionaries and native people in Africa.

The story takes unexpected turns, keeping the reader engaged and wanting more. If you are looking for something different, interesting, and with an ending that makes you wonder, this novel is a great choice.



To buy this book from amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.

To see more from Elaine Neil Orr, visit her Amazon site linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment