Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran

Title: Rebel Queen
Author: Michelle Moran
Genre: Historical Fiction

Synopsis: Sita, the eldest daughter of a family in a poor village in India, earns a spot as a member of the Rani's (queen) female guard. Life in Jhansi is much different than the village Sita grew up in and she has much to learn. Set in the mid-late 1800's the British are slowly colonizing the kingdoms in India. The Rani of Jhansi, Queen Lakshmi fights to keep the land she loves and protect her people.

My Thoughts
I haven't read much about India and did not know much about what it was like there in the mid-nineteenth century. The author uses Sita to provide insight into what it was like to be a woman in India at that time. Moran takes the time to make sure the reader understands the important aspects of family hierarchy, religion, and customs of the Indian people in a way that is not overwhelming and does not come across like reading an encyclopedia.
As you can see from the time of my last post, I flew through this book. I typically read a few chapters before bed, but I simply had to know what was going to happen to Sita and the people of Jhansi so I was reading every spare moment I had. 
This novel is based on a true story and Sita was really a member of  Queen Lakshmi's guard. Moran writes beautifully and perfectly fills in any gaps in the historical record to create an intriguing and relatable narrative that keeps the reader wanting more. It is amazing to read about strong women leaders in this kingdom during a time where most of India's women were not even allowed to be seen outside of their homes.
This book is a quick and fun read, and I recommend it for those looking for a book to read this summer!


Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from Michelle Moran, visit her website linked above.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! I love finding new book blogs! and I'm enjoying purusing yours. I just wanted to say, and invite you to join in my weekly link up on Thursdays, where you can share your posts with a community of bloggers!


    Marissa
    www.marissawrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa! Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog and for sharing yours! I look forward to reading your posts as well!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete