Monday, January 15, 2018

Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

Title: Victoria
Author: Daisy Goodwin
Genre: Historical Fiction

Synopsis: The story of 18-year-old Alexandrina Victoria ascending to the throne to become Queen Victoria of England. This novel follows Victoria as she learns how to be a queen after living a sheltered life with her mother and her mother's advisor John Conroy. When she leans heavily on the helpful and handsome Lord Melbourne, her prime minister, for guidance everyone says it is time Victoria find a suitable husband.
 My Thoughts

As soon as this hit the shelves I was dying to read it. I love the British Royal Family and have read exhaustively about the Windsors, Tudors, and Plantagenets, but I was so excited to read about Victoria, a monarch I have read little about. I was unwilling to pay for a hardcover copy and ended up getting a paperback copy as a Christmas gift. 
I must admit that while I was waiting for the paperback version, I watched the Masterpiece Classic television show by the same name. It was written by the same author as she wrote this novel. I highly recommend both.
 I would suggest reading the book first, which covers the first four episodes of the series. The novel provides much more detail and helps the reader understand exactly how the characters are related or their job in the palace, the motives of Victoria's various uncles and her mother, the mistakes Victoria makes and why they make her unpopular with her people at first, and her relationship with Lord Melbourne and her cousin Albert.  The series is filled with beautiful costumes and also has a side story about the Queen's dresser, Skerret, that is not included in the novel.
This is the third novel I have read by Goodwin (The American Heiress, Fortune Hunter) and I have enjoyed all three. Her descriptions allow the reader to create a clear mental picture without overexplaining or going into exhaustive detail. She also writes strong, independent female protagonists who are relatable even decades after they lived. 

If you love British royal history, coming of age stories, or women working to overcome discrimination, this book is for you. 

Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds intriguing. I love historical fiction, and I should really check this out. Thanks for putting it on my radar, and I will keep in mind to read the book before I watch the tv show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, it is a really interesting read! I’m glad this post has inspired you to check it out! Thanks for reading!

      Delete