Friday, November 17, 2017

Moonlight Over Paris by Jennifer Robson


Title: Moonlight Over Paris
Author: Jennifer Robson
Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: After surviving a publicly humiliating broken engagement and a life-threatening illness, 28 year old Lady Helena Montagu-Douglas-Parr decides it is time to really live. She applies to art school in Paris and moves in with her delightfully zany, recently widowed, aunt. Presenting herself as Helena Parr, an ordinary young aspiring artist, she makes new friends at school and opens herself up to a new Parisian life. Helena gets to mix with famous up and coming artists and writers of the mid-1920s and along the way meets newspaper-man Sam Howard. After surviving the war, is it possible for any one of them to let go of the past and move forward into the possibilities of the roaring twenties?

My Thoughts

I found this novel during my usual raid of the bargain book section at Barnes and Noble. After reading the book jacket I picked it up and put it down several times thinking it may just be too cheesy and predictable for my taste. Then when I saw the author had my same last name (after picking it up for the 4th time) I decided that I had to give it a read. 
I love that Helena decides to follow her dreams in an age where women born into titled families are expected to marry young and have a family and do nothing beyond that. It is so brave to actually step outside of the social norms especially after facing humiliation in one's social circle and hearing one's parents being told that it is likely you wouldn't survive your illness.
Robson shows Helena's vulnerabilities and how she uses them to create beautiful works of art, empathize with her art school friends, and finally to overcome them to believe in herself.
There is also a love story that runs throughout which is lovely and complicated and infuriating, as any good love story should be.
At 322 pages, this is one of the shorter novels I have read of late, and I was seriously torn between wanting to read it all at once and feeling sad that there were fewer and fewer pages left in this lovely story. I sincerely enjoyed reading this novel and I appreciated the depth that Jennifer Robson gave to the characters.
 I recommend everyone use the linked image above to purchase this book for yourself or as a holiday gift for someone you love. I can't wait to read more from this author.

If you like stories about bravery, art in the 1920s, Paris, or a good love story, this book is for you!

(On the off chance that she reads this, Jennifer, how do you pronounce your last name? My family pronounces it "Robe-sun" but I know others pronounce it phonetically, just curious!) 


Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment