Friday, November 3, 2017

The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory

Title: The Taming of the Queen
Author: Philippa Gregory
Genre: Historical Fiction

Synopsis: Kateryn Parr, recently widowed for the second time and in love with a popular courtier, is selected by King Henry VII to become his 6th wife. Unable to refuse, Kateryn must marry a man old enough to be her father, and of whom she is terribly afraid. Kateryn must learn exactly how to keep her new husband happy because her life depends on it.


My Thoughts
I had finished reading this a few weeks ago. The fact that it has taken me this long to review it shows that it was only okay.
I love Philippa Gregory's historical fiction, so I was excited to read a novel about the wife who survives Henry VII. As with all of the novels I have read by Gregory, this one is written in a manner that makes you wonder how it will end, even though history has already informed me of the ending. 
Beyond that, this novel is just too long. Often, I find that I crush through a novel by this author so quickly that I am disappointed that there isn't more to the story. This novel is so slow in the middle. The point was made about Kateryn and Henry's relationship and the story needed to move on, but sadly it just felt repetitive. For about 100 pages I wanted to say "Okay, we get it, move on!"

If you are looking for great historical fiction, pick up any of Gregory's other novels, especially the ones in the Plantagenet series. Unfortunately, this one was a dud.


Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment