Monday, April 29, 2019

Dollface by Renee Rosen

Title: Dollface
Author: Renee Rosen
Genre: Fiction

Other books I've read by this author: White Collar Girl

Synopsis: Vera's main goal in life is to not end up like her mother, a single business owner of a slaughterhouse with no time for fun. Ordinary is the last thing she wants to be. Working and living downtown in 1920s Chicago is expensive but Vera and her friend and roommate, Evelyn, are determined to live a glamorous life. When their hunt for glamour introduces Vera to Shep and Tony it might lead to more excitement than she and Evelyn could ever imagine.


My Thoughts

When I saw this book on the shelf and read the back cover I just wasn't excited enough by what it described to buy it. Then recently it was lent to me by a colleague who has similar taste in books and I figured it was worth a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find a story with much more depth and complexity than is portrayed by the back cover. (Insert book judging cliche here.)
Dollface is more than just a 1920 speakeasy and gangster story, it's about a woman coming of age in a time where women weren't supposed to make it on their own and those who had to were looked down upon. This book examines the different versions of oneself and what it means to choose one over the other. Don't worry, it has all that depth and also the speakeasies and gangsters you hope for in a roaring twenties novel.

The last few novels I was reading were set in Europe and this was a great book to bring me back state-side. 



Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment