Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The Gown by Jennifer Robson

Title: The Gown
Author: Jennifer Robson
Genre: Fiction

Other books I have read by this author: Moonlight Over Paris

Synopsis: After WWII the British people look forward to celebrating the wedding of Princess Elizabeth to Phillip Mountbatten. Working at Hartnell's embroidering the extravagant wedding gown for the princess changes both Ann and Miriam's lives. In 2016 after the death of her grandmother, Heather finds there was more to her nan's life in London in the 1940s than she knew. 


My Thoughts

My love for the British royal family drew me to this book, but it is really more the story of the common people following WWII and finding hope in the celebration of a royal wedding. I always love a story told from multiple perspectives and this has Ann, a London native, and Miriam, a French transplant, working together to create the princess's gown and trying to survive as single women after the war. 
There is a bit of mystery in this novel as well when the story is seen through the eyes of Heather in 2016 who is trying to find out why her grandmother had left her an old box of embroidery upon her death with no explanation. You can always tell I am intrigued by a story when the time between my reviews is so short. I looked forward every day to finding out what was going to happen for Ann and Miriam as the story progressed.
Beyond the delightful storyline, the author includes portions of her interview with an actual Hartnell's employee who worked in the shop at the time the gown was being made. I love seeing how actual historical references fit into the fiction. It was also fun to find the recipe for a dish much discussed in the story at the end of the novel as well. I plan to make it for dinner this week. I look forward to reading other novels by this author! 


Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment