Sunday, July 15, 2018

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne
Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: 19 years after the Battle of Hogwarts we find Harry and Ginny sending their second son, Albus Severus Potter, off to Hogwarts. He is embarrassed by the attention he gets from his famous father and feels that he is being constantly compared and isn't living up to his name. Harry finds it difficult to relate with Albus and says something he instantly regrets. Albus forms a great friendship with an unlikely friend, Scorpius, and the two decide to take on a great task and end up having to save the world.


My Thoughts
I can't believe I have gone this long before reading this book. It has been a long time since I read a play, but once you get back into the rhythm of it, you hardly notice the difference. Getting back into the world of Harry Potter is like greeting an old friend, no matter how long you have been away it still feels like no time has passed (except the 19 years in the story, haha). The old gang still have their characteristic personalities just grown up a bit and getting to know their children is interesting as well. 
Scorpius is such a great character, not popular or well liked he has immense curiosity and is so light and bubbly. I found myself laughing out loud at a few of Scorpious's lines. He provides the comic relief of Ron in the earlier books, but without the 'Debbie Downer' effect that Ron had.
I had a really hard time putting this one down, even when I was so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open (I read before bed)! 
If you are a Harry Potter fan then I highly recommend reading this play. If you don't know anything at all about Harry Potter it may be hard to follow, since it makes reference to past events. I would love to see it performed and hope that it eventually comes to Cleveland Playhouse Square. 

Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment