Saturday, July 7, 2018

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory


Title: The Other Queen
Author: Philippa Gregory
Genre: Historical Fiction

Synopsis: Mary Queen of Scots is held in England by Queen Elizabeth I after seeking asylum from her cousin when the people of Scotland rebelled against her. The Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury are asked by Willam Cecil, Queen Elizabeth's advisor, to house Queen Mary until it is seen fit by Elizabeth to help restore her to the Scottish throne. Multiple attempts to free Mary complicate the lives of all involved and what was once an honor to host a queen becomes the Shrewsburys' burden of keeping her prisoner.


My Thoughts
I bought this book to take with me on my trip to London in June. I thought what could be better than reading a Tudor novel by Philippa Gregory while in London? Once again, I was not disappointed. I have read other novels about Mary Queen of Scots and this one portrayed Mary in a different light. I felt in this novel that she was more developed, that she was not just portrayed as a helpless woman betrayed by her cousin, waiting for someone to come save her. Mary in this novel was fighting for her freedom in the best way she knew how, by acting like a Queen. 
I was also enthused to find that Gregory has added the perspective of not only Queen Mary and Countess Bess Shrewsbury, but also that of the George Talbot,  Earl of Shrewsbury. I cannot remember any of her novels including writing from a male perspective. I really liked the way she portrayed Shrewsbury as a man obsessed with honor torn between his duty to Queen Elizabeth and helping the charming Queen Mary whom he was forced to house. 
The evolution of the marriage of Bess and George Shrewsbury as the newlyweds endure the expenses of hosting a queen is an interesting one to follow, especially when the reader gets to hear from the perspective of both spouses. The reader can sympathize with both of them but it also has the reader wishing they would just talk to one another honestly and work together to prevent Queen Mary from pulling them apart.

I really enjoyed reading this novel!

Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment