Friday, July 13, 2018

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume


Title: Summer Sisters
Author: Judy Blume
Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: Caitlin and Vix meet at school and the boisterous Caitlin invites Vix to stay at her father's home on Martha's Vineyard for the summer. Vix's family is struggling financially and her mother is uncertain if she should let her go until Vix's soft-spoken father convinces her it will be fine. The girls become close friends and they go to the vineyard for the summer year after year, calling themselves summer sisters.
This is the coming of age story of two girls from two different worlds. Though they have contrasting personalities, they stay friends for life through tough times, fights, boyfriends, breakups, distance, and laughter. 


My Thoughts
This is the third novel I am reviewing from my mystery 10 pack from Discover Books! When I hear Judy Blume I think of children's books, so when I saw this novel in the mystery pack I wasn't sure what to expect. It is definitely a book that is good for reading on the beach, or on the porch, or in your yard on a lounge chair in the summer. 
I liked that most of the book was third person omniscient focusing on Vix's perspective, but when the reader needed more information short 1-2 page excerpts would be third person omniscient from another character that had participated in a particularly important scene. The reader gets a fuller picture and the characters are better developed because of this addition.
I also liked that the novel began with an excerpt from "the present" and then went back to the time Caitlin and Vix met and continued through that excerpt. 
The novel really explores the intricacies and difficulties of building maintaining friendships into adulthood. I have to admit, even when it was a bit cheesy at times I enjoyed reading this book and I may have even cried at the end.

If you are looking for a good summer read, then I recommend you pick up a copy of this novel.

Comment below if you have read this book or have suggestions for others like it!


To buy this book from Amazon now, click on the image at the top of the post.
To see more from the author, visit the website linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment